Monday, January 23, 2012

Saturday: RESTaurant review

Soooo despite Saturday's snow storm, I had to go into the city to meet with some of the other girls I'll be teaching Barre Pro with at Pilates Pro Works. My mom came into the city so I wouldn't have to brave the snow alone, and we planned to go to this Vegan restaurant on the Upper West Side after I was done. Sooo, if any of you KNOW me--you know I DON'T go to restaurants. If there's one thing I'm high-maintenance about, its my FOOD, and my body. I don't TRUST restaurants with my food for the most part, for fear that they'll put oil on something i DO NOT want oil on, or that they'll grease the omelet pan with butter instead of non-stick spray, or give me TOO MUCH sweat potato, etc.. I always have to know EXACTLY what's going into my food. I measure everything when I cook on my own, because it gives me COMFORT. Anyway...I don't remember the last time I want to any type of restaurant, so it was HUGE for me to find a place i WANTED to go to! 
The place:
Cafe Blossom
Columbus Ave Between West 82nd st and West 83rd
VEGAN EVERYTHING! 


After getting on the train and trekking through the FREEZING weather and SNOW on our way from 14th street to 83rd, there was nothing I wanted more than to sit down in a warm restaurant and have a little coffee and some yummy food. I started with a decaf coffee with almond milk (YUM, only $2.) Mom and I ordered the LIVE NACHOS and RAW sweet potato rolls as appetizers.
LIVE NACHOS: Dehydrated flax seed crackers, fresh avocado, diced tomatoes. They were SO GOOD!!! 


 SWEET POTATO ROLLS: jicama, coconut noodles, carrots, scallions, avocado, mango, tomato. Wrapped in sweet potato. These were ALSO amazing..and entirely raw! After we ate those, we ordered one entree to share, which was Eggplant served 3 different ways:


1 Way (my favorite) : Grilled eggplant sliced soo thin, wrapped around bean sprouts.


2nd way: Basically vegan eggplant parm. I took the oily skin off, and just ate the eggplant inside. It came with really yummy whole and tomato puree and basil on top of it


3rd way: (I didn't eat this kind..looked kinda gross) Babaghanoush on top of crostini breads. Uhh, why wouldn't they serve this on some kind of yummy whole grain bread? I'm a really picky eater, so the spread didn't interest me anyway. I let my mom eat that. My mom and i ALSO split an order of BAKED sweet potato fries. Overall, the food was AMAZING, and I want to go back to try different things on the menu ! They have everything from steamed kale to soy bacon to zucchini noodles! Definitely something for everyone. Oh, there's french fries for the anti-health fiends out there, and cookies and cake, and milkshakes. I DEFINITELY recommend it for anybody looking for a nice, comfortable, HEALTHY place to eat with a friend. Let me know if you go!! It was amazing to not feel bloated and fat after sitting for appetizers and an entree! When we got back from the city, my stomach looked LEAN! That place gave me hope for finding places I can go with friends in the future. Not on a regular basis, but once in a while. It was a sick way to have a "cheat" meal... not really cheating though :) 


Check it out if you're in NYC ! 
Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment