Sunday, January 29, 2012

Running myself straight into INJURY!!

So, if you've been reading my blogs, you know I've been a running MACHINE lately. Running 4 to 6 miles at a time, quick, no problems, 4-5 times a week, awesome! Averaging at between 20 and 25 miles per week, for over a month now. Well, all good things must come to an end, right? Unfortunately, as I expected it would, my perpetual sprint has been ceased. My hip flexor FLARED up during my last treadmill session. On Thursday, after taking 2 days off running after a painful 1 mile walk-run and sore legs, I set out to conquer some distance. Telling myself to just take it easy and EASE back into my running pattern, here's what I had planned:
--40 minutes on the treadmill. Pattern= 1 min @4.0, 1 min @6.0, 8mins running between 7.0-7.5. Repeat 4 times. Well, I did that for 1 round, and just wanted to RUN. I said, okay self, let's just finish up 4 miles and call it a day. At about 18 minutes, with 2 miles done, I kept running between 7.0-8.0. After 3 miles, I decided I'd keep running until I hit 45 minutes. At the 5 mile mark, I decided I might as well run until 50 minutes. Soooo much for my easy mild run. 5.6 miles in 50 minutes, my hip flexor felt weird, but i was SO thrilled to have run some quality distance and torched major calories. I only had 10 minutes to stretch and foam roll after my run. I really needed a solid 25 minutes to focus on just my hamstrings and hip flexors and psoas muscles. Everything felt wrong, but I had to run out to catch a train to go HOME to westchester! In my frantic rush to the train, I downed a scoop of protein with some baby carrots to follow, threw everything in my huge lululemon bag, and went on the subway to grand central. with 15 minutes to spare in grand central, i got a big green apple and HUGE water bottle to drink on the train. My hip flexor was in SOOO much pain just sitting on the train and I wanted to SCREAM. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!! UGH! See what happens when you DONT listen to your body? Mentally, I KNEW that 40 minutes of mild running was RIGHT for me. But my CRAZY runner/athlete side wanted to be wild and run almost 6 miles with a bad hip! Now I'm being punished by not being able to walk too fast, let alone jog or run. I'm trying my hardest to rehabilitate this hopefully MINOR injury/setback so that I can get back into my workouts. I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime, run an extra mile for me! (Unless something like your good old hip flexor begs you not to...)
XOXO, Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment