Thursday, January 19, 2012

HUNGRY!!!

You know those days when you just feel HUNGRY , ALL DAY ?!?! I swear, ever since like 2pm today...I've been SO hungry, no matter what I do. Whenever I'm hungry, I down a HUGE glass of water before eating anything. If I'm still hungry, I consider what I should eat. Sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger! Anyway, I had a sick workout this morning, and my metabolism was kickin' ALL DAY i suppose. Here's my workout:
started with some treadmill time! So I hopped on the tread, was warming up at 6.0...and 3 minutes in, the treadmill STOPPED. I was kinda mad, but hey at least it was only 3 minutes (.28 covered) I hopped on the next treadmill and started at 6.5. I did 2 miles in 16:30, then kept running until I hit 20 minutes. Covered about 2.3 miles. Then I headed to the weights to train with my MOM. You have NOT met a strong woman until you've met my mom. She pushes 40 pound dumbbells with no problem! Here was our strength circuit:


4 sets. Increase weights each set. Aim for 10 reps for sets 1-3. 4th set DROP SETS until fatigue


*Drop set: Start with heaviest weight, as many reps until fatigue, immediately drop to lower weight. We dropped from heaviest weight to lowest weight, about 6-8 reps per weight)


-->Bicep curl to overhead press (15's, 17.5's, 20's, 22.5's)
-->Reverse fly's (7.5's, 10s, 12.5s...couldn't up to 15s without sacrificing form)
-->Bent over row (15s,17.5s,20s,22.5s)


4 sets took a LONG time, and we were both quite fatigued. That didn't stop us! We punched with dumbbells for 30 sec on each side (I used 5lbs) TRY IT. It gets sweat dripping and shoulders and traps burning! 


I did some decline abs and oblique twists holding 12.5lbs for about 3 minutes, then hopped back on the treadmill:


--started at 6.0 for 2 minutes, then upped my speed. Finished the mile in 8:28, and ran backwards at 5.5 until 10 minutes. I walked 1 minute to cool down, and was SPENT. I stretched out, and rushed home to make mom and I's post-workout fuel:


(1/2 cup 5grain hot cereal, 1tbsp oatbran, 1tbsp shredded coconut, 1/2cup blueberries, 1 scoop protein, cinnamon, 1tsp flax seeds)-->double for 2 servings.


We inhaled our food and rushed to the SPA for deep tissue massages. (THATS another post...)


After our deep tissue massages, we stopped at starbucks. By the time we got home, it had been about 4 hours since post-workout food. I was STARVING. I ate a small serving of pistachios and made peppermint tea. STILL HUNGRY..drank more water..tummy growling. Okay...when my body is saying FEED ME, I don't ignore it!! I spread 1/4 of an avocado on a slice of sprouted multigrain bread. I was trying to satiate my crazy hunger with healthy FATS, instead of fruit (SUGAR!!) Drank more water...how was i STILL hungry? I grabbed a few more pistachios, some blueberries...guess they were calling my name, and made more tea and got the heck out of the kitchen. Thank god that's over....
NOPE ITS NOT!! 2hours later my stomach was growling like crazy. Went down to the kitchen, made MORE TEA, about 40 calories of liquid eggwhites with cinnamon on 1/2 a fiber pita (only 45 cals and 4 carbs..) Sheesh. My workout clearly revved my metabolism today.. now its less than 2 hours since that snack and my tummy is growling AGAIN. For dinner, I'm just having basic solid albacore tuna with celery over a bed of spinach and lettuce with fresh squeezed lemon. 
Even though I ate more than usual, everything was CAREFULLY selected so that I didn't stock up on carbs my body doesn't need...and according to my LOSE IT calculations, I'm still way under my daily cals due to the calories i burned exercising. So DON'T ignore hunger...try to drink a big glass of water before mindlessly snacking. If you're hungry, THINK for a minute: what foods can you choose to best satisfy hunger, without spiking your blood sugar and cravings for more carbs and sugar?! Go for healthy fats, veggies, protein, fiber, complex carbs...LASTLY SUGAR. don't start the snacking with sugar...the chances of snacking gone bad are definitely higher (in my experience, at least) if you reach for fruits and carbs FIRST. Instead, curb the hunger, and top it off with a tiny bit of sugar if you need. Keep it healthy, ALWAYS!! 


Want some snack ideas?
---1tbsp natural almond butter (or PB) with 6 celery stalks (or an apple)
---1 slice sprouted whole grain EZEKIEL toast with 1/4 avocado and 2 eggwhites
--1/2 scoop protein powder mixed with 8oz unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
--1/3 avocado with celery and baby carrots (Raw guacamole!)
--1 bell pepper with 1/3 cup cooked quinoa inside (add 1tbsp hummus or avocado if u like)
--1/4 cup almonds or pistachios with 1/2 cup blueberries


The list is REALLY endless... goal is to combine healthy fats with proteins/veggies/complex carbs to satisfy your hunger without a full meal!! 


IM STARVING , NEED DINNER!!! LOL..
oxxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment