Wednesday, February 29, 2012

SORE!?

Ever since I've implemented more heavy weight training into my daily routine, I've had a fair share of dealing with soreness. The past 2-3 weeks (since my squat rack dates started) the stiff and sore feelings have been worse than EVER! Its a good thing because it means I'm working my muscles to exhaustion, and with proper re-fuel, they are only going to get more powerful and more firm. But as a runner, its been affecting my POWER and ability to really move on the treadmill! I used to do cardio 5 days a week, sometimes 6, with one rest day. Now, my workout intensity has increased so much that i find after two tough days in a row, my body wants to REST instead of burn out at the gym for a third day in a row. 


Now, if you know me, you know I'm not the type to just kick back and let the gym slide..I GO, I put on my heart rate monitor, and find muscles that still feel strong, and WORK. Lately, I've been giving myself the "ok" for 2 rest days (never in a row,) if my workouts were REALLY tough. 
My running has more or less decreased to 3-4x a week, but I REALLY need to keep it at 5 to achieve that insane leanness I WANT.  My legs and glutes WILL start adapting to these tough days with the squat rack, but for now, the muscle soreness that follows the post-leg day training is too severe to run on.


I've also been doing everything RIGHT to prevent excess soreness, like:
-drinking TONS of water throughout the day and after my workouts. (4-5Liters/day)
-having fast-digesting carbs and protein immediately after working out to enhance muscle repair and glycogen replenishment. Since I've cut grains out for the most part, this is where a banana, wheat bran, and protein powder bowl comes in. (Wheat bran ≠ oat bran or oats.)
-foam rolling 4-5x a week to roll out the muscle fibers and break up tension
-restorative stretching after an intense muscle workout


Call me crazy, but I think I'm starting to see improvements in my glutes and hams ALREADY! Give it another 3 weeks and maybe they'll be picture ready! 
On another note, I think I'm going to turn into a vegetable. My carbs today include:
1 bag spinach
1/2bag shredded cabbage
120 cals worth snap peas
80 cals worth green beans
a yellow bell pepper


DINNER includes:
1 bag spinach
1/2 bag cabbage
baby beets
cucumber


YUP .. hows that for carbs!? You wouldn't believe how little calories and carbs are in ALL OF THAT FOOD!! 1 pound of shredded cabbage is less than 100 calories. 1 pound of french fries (made in clean oil) is over 1400. MAKE YOUR CHOICE. The cabbage will probably fill you up for longer too. 


And that's not ALL of my carbs, god no, I would get skinny eating just that. after my workout, I had an overflowing 1/2cup wheatbran, 1 banana, scoop chocolate protein
this morning, I also had some frozen berries with my protein cake breakfast


Abs are changed by your DIET . 
NOT BY SIT-UPS.


I'm getting ready to buckle down and finally get rid of this 8 pounds or so of fat my body seems to like holding onto. But I refuse to sacrifice the muscle mass I've been working so hard to build, so I will continue to love my journey, and take my time. I'm one of those people that will NOT settle...I have an image in my mind of how I see my physique...and there's nooo stopping me until I get there.


Hopefully by summer time I'll get what I want, and I won't have any nasty fat to grab at.
But for now , I am PLEASED with the way I look...just not satisfied. 
Sometimes, I need to remind myself that I look better, and am more in shape, stronger, and faster than 95% of people I encounter on a daily basis. When you're a perfectionist like me, its really hard sometimes to look in the mirror and just think "fat." I'm not fat. But sometimes I think for a second, that I look fat. I might be a little obsessive , but
 "OBSESSED is a word the LAZY use to describe the DETERMINED."-anon


Cheers to me not being fat, and writing a really vulnerable wednesday blog after all!!! 
Next time you feel down, or held back from your goals, whatever they may be, just remind yourself about all the GREAT things you possess. Sure, your abs might need some work, but hey, didn't you just squat a new personal record yesterday?! Didn't you just out-run the treadmill during your last cardio session? 


With that said, 
Happy Wednesday
Kick some ass ! 


XXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment