Thursday, February 16, 2012

Feature: Pole Dancing!

I know I mention pole dancing on the blog every once in a while, because it's part of my workout regimen...in a given week, I pole 2-3 times...lately, more like 1-2. I started last september (2010) when I moved into the city. I fell in love with both the challenge and the idea of being able to rock a pole with strength and ease. Here I am, about a year and a half later, a regular in crunch pole classes at all different locations in manhattan. I'm lucky that my gym in union square has pole 3x a week! The other day, I went to the gym for my usual Wednesday 1:15pm class which is usually pretty small, and the studio was PACKED! Why? Fitbie had come to FILM the class, and the founder of Crunch pole (as well as owner of  Body & Pole studio, and AMAZING pole dancer and athlete) Kyra Johanssen was there with another awesome teacher (Courtney) to teach. During class, the camera crew filmed us on the poles, and asked to interview me after class. Of course I said yes!! Check out the video: 
http://fitbie.msn.com/sexiest-way-burn-calories-pole-dancing


CLICK HERE TO SEE ME TALK ABOUT POLE DANCING


Here are the things I LOVE About pole that you DO NOT see me mention in the vid:
--confidence-booster: Its amazing to be in a room full of women (and some men!) of all shapes and sizes wearing BOOTY SHORTS !! When I first started pole, I was a LOT thicker, and was comforted by seeing everyone rockin' skimpy clothes, no matter how good they did (or didnt) look. The truth is, for pole, more skin HELPS you stick to the pole. As I kept learning more tricks, and getting more serious about pole and working out in general, it was great to feel better and look better in my pole shorts. Now, I can't even pole with a shirt on, I NEED to be in my sports bra and shorts.
--a well-rounded workout: I love that pole is such an awesome strength-builder. I was SO humbled during my first pole class, because i sure couldn't lift my bodyweight off the ground and up onto the pole...it took a few classes and a lot of soreness to work up to some basic crunching and lifting and climbing up the pole. Now, I'm so far along in my pole practice, that I literally get an AMAZING upper body and abdominal workout during each pole class. i really push myself whenever I take pole, to make sure that I progress not only by means of pole tricks, but in overall STRENGTH
--it's a practice: Yup, just like yoga. There are fundamentals to pole fitness. No, they do NOT involve droppin for a dollar or shaking your butt (although a little bit of that is always fun in freestyle time!) No matter how many times you climb the pole, do a crunch, or chopper, there's always something to fix, and something ELSE to work toward. Your movements can always improve and become more controlled. Perfection rarely exists in the world of pole dancing. You know i LOVE a challenge.
--it's SEXY AND FUN!!!! I LOVE to dance, i LOVE to whip around my hair, and i LOVE that i get to wear 6 inch platforms at 1pm on a WEDNESDAY!! It's such a nice switch from dumbbells and cables (well, it's not really a switch, it's an addition to that part of my weekly routine)


If you ever get the chance, i SERIOUSLY recommend you get your booty into a pole class ASAP! 


XOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment