Monday, June 25, 2012

In loving memory of MJ

So today is the anniversary of Michael Jackson's death. A few posts back, I dedicated a blog to Tupac on the date that would have marked his 41st birthday. Today, I dedicate this post to the one and only Michael Jackson. 3 years ago, I was in a dance class when MJ died. I didn't hear the news right away, until my mom called me about an hour after it happened. I was driving out of the city on the West side highway with a friend who had just come from Equinox, and we declared our ride home listening to MJ on the radio "The first official tribute." MJ was brilliant, but that goes without saying. The importance of dedicating this blog to him is because he continued to do what he LOVED to do, and continued to live for himself and his fans despite what critics and tabloids said about his personal life. MJ truly felt that his purpose on this earth was to make the world a better place , and he made sure to spread love and creativity with every song, video, or public appearance.


I always think about what my purpose is on this earth. In this crazy world. I want to help people learn and become aware of what is healthy, what is strong, and how they can get there. I want to make couch potatoes FORMER couch potatoes. I want to help people to understand WHY they shouldn't eat slim fast bars and pepperidge farm whole wheat bread (as both of these are filled with artificial ingredients, sweeteners, and aren't nearly as "healthy" as the average american perceives them to be.) I want to enable unfit people to develop a LOVE for exercise--be it power yoga, triathlon training, sprinting, lifting, or best of all--everything.  So while the majority of my posts might sound crazy and intense and aimed at the already advanced athlete, the advice and mindset comes from a good place. 


My purpose is not only to motivate myself to become the best version of myself as an athlete and person, but to help others reach the same goal. I share my workouts and meals with the internet with the intent of sparking some form of inspiration that could make the smallest OR largest change in somebody's life.  You couldn't imagine the warmth I feel when someone tells me they read my blog. Or when someone says they tried my protein pancakes. Or when someone says I inspired them to eat a new vegetable. Things like that fulfill me. They make my PURPOSE here complete and clear to me. Not everyone can share the same purpose on earth, because then the world would fall apart. I am not here to make world peace, or end world hunger. Leave that to Oprah and the liberals.


So this morning, when the sky was grey and drab, and I wanted NOTHING to do with the gym...I remembered what my PURPOSE is. And going to the gym and killing it...well, that's part of my purpose here after all. That's what I LOVE to do, and love sharing it here with you readers. As awful and sort of depressed I was feeling this morning, I didn't lay on the couch all day. I didn't avoid the gym. I got my monster, revved my energy, and killed a workout. Even finished my workout with my fastest mile ever--7:26. 


Think about your individual purpose. What do you live for, what would you die for? Many of you likely share my outlook, and have similar goals. But I know there are some of you reading this that DONT want to impact lives in the same exact way that I do. Some of you have bigger dreams, some just different. Whatever it is, take the right actions to best fulfill your purpose every single day. Be the best you can be.


Don't stop til you get enough! !

No comments:

Post a Comment