Monday, June 18, 2012

Back to the TRACK..

Remember how I said I was switching things up this week?! Today I had a last minute change of mind too! I was sore sore sore and didnt feel like doing anything but gentle elliptical and maybe some treadmill jogging. Well, I stepped outside and just HAD to work out at the track . I even dragged my sister along! Last night she taught me field hockey, so today I was going to teach her how to WORK.
With the whole track to ourselves, I knew I was in for a way better and more efficient workout than being on a stupid elliptical. We started with 1 lap jogging around the track, and went from there.  I was so amped! We raced each other up the stadium stairs, did tricep dips and mountain climbers at the bottom of the bleachers, ran around the track, did the stairs up and down and sideways. At 21 minutes, my sister threw in the towel. She was toast. I continued to kick my own ass and did turf sprints, laps, stair sprints, mountain climbers, bear crawls, plank walks.  I ended my workout with 3 sets of 10 burpees. Full. All the way laying on the ground and a jump at the top. Holy crap. Burned almost 500 calories in 52 minutes. Never possible on an elliptical! 


After I train with weights, I usually have protein powder mixed with water with 40g carbs worth of rice cakes. Since this was just plyos and cardio, I had a little sweet potato instead of rice cakes (fit in the palm of my hand) with 1/2lb broccoli and an eggwhite omelet with spinach. 


Like an hour later, i was STARVING again! So, I chopped up a small pepper, and threw it on the stovetop with 3tbsp eggwhites and had 1/2lb broccoli. I was still hungry, but I went upstairs to see if I just had to digest. Nope, stomach was GROWLING for an hour. Before I went to buy new protein powder and stock up on eggwhites and frozen green beans and broccoli, I had 1 rice cake with avocado  on top, and brought it in the car so I wouldn't eat like 5 of them. THAT did the trick! Followed by a decaf iced coffee on my errands, no more hunger.


When you're feeling ravenous and hungry, its for a REASON. Don't ignore the hunger because it will NOT go away, and if it does, it might mean your body has gone into starvation mode...aka fat storage mode. Don't try to curb hunger with empty calories or sugar. Try to satiate it with fibrous vegetables. Also, keep track of your FAT intake. Notice how the avocado did the trick? It's nutrient dense, and contains healthy fats, which I hadn't consumed ANY of today, with the exception of 1tb ground flax this morning...a small dose of omega fats. 


PROTEIN is another macro to really pay attention to when it comes to hunger. if you don't eat enough protein, your muscles and system will be craving the completeness and amino acids from protein-rich food sources, so make sure you're getting enough! 


SURPRISE: I'm going to re-try chicken tonight. I'm kind of grossed out by the thought of eating it again, but currently the ONLY sources of complete protein I get are from sun warrior protein powder and eggwhites, and of course the lovely 11g of plant protein found in 1 pound of broccoli. With my muscle volume and physique goals, i NEED to incorporate more protein into my diet, and its SO awful to have to drink sun warrior 2-3 times a day along with going through nearly 2 cartons of eggwhites. Ick. So with my green beans tonight...it's looking like organic chicken breast made on the stove top. No sauces, no oil...just the way I used to eat it. NAKED CHICKEN, I call it. I'm making it for my sister too! She asked, I swear. She's eating broccoli tonight too, even though she always makes fun of me when I make it because of that good old broc smell..


Tomorrow is LEG day, and I'm doing NO heavy squats or deadlifts. Capping the squats at 95lbs and deadlifts the same. 12-15 rep range, along with stability ball ham curls and plyos. I'll report back to you guys on that tomorrow.


happy monday!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment