Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Do your Deads.

Deads, meaning--Deadlifts. All types. Do them. I can't express enough...how important it is to to them... in fact, I've written an entire post called "Dear Deadlifts..." HERE:Deadlift post


Anyway. One thing I encourage is VOLUME when lifting weights. There is no better feeling than pushing yourself through 10 SETS of an exercise. Deadlifts are REALLY a full body workout when performed correctly, and will have your body working like a FURNACE when you're done. Your LEGS and BACK are majorly involved in deadlifting...therefore...more muscles taxed..higher calorie expenditure..you know.


SO, I included this lovely 10x10 deadlift plug into my leg routine today. Here's today's workout (I wouldn't recommend going super heavy because you have to lift the bar 10 times, for 10 sets. I like to build up with each set.)


One more note: It is SO important to focus on your FORM and muscles when you are lifting. Of COURSE I could squat 135lbs no problem, but I don't do that on a regular basis because I see BETTER results when I use lighter weight and get my ass as LOW as possible. I can deadlift far more than my bodyweight, but go too heavy and its tough to keep my form proper. For my goals, there is no reason to risk it. There is a definite difference between training smart and being lazy. Don't use weights you could throw around for 20 reps with no problem, but most people don't need to be pushing the 1 rep max every single workout.  The amount of plates at the end of your bar is NOT the defining factor of your workout, and does not DEFINE you as a person! Without correct performance, you might as well ask for injury...Anyway...
My leg workout:


Warm-up the hams and glutes (I do glute squeezes, and mimic stiff deads with no weight, arms over head, gets my hamstrings warmed up)


Plie Box Squats 5x12 (45/65/65/85/85)
SUPERSET with calf raises 5x12 (same weight as the squat)


Good Mornings 3x10 (45lbs)
SUPERSET with step ups no weight 3x10


STIFF LEGGED DEADS 10x10 (65/65/65/75/75//85/85/105/115/115)


Bulgarian Split squats w/20s 3x8
SUPERSET with 12 plie squats


Step ups w/20s 3x10


Cable lateral kicks 3x15


Hyperextensions w/10lbs 3x12 (squeeze the HELL out of your hams and glutes the whole time)


Hamstring curls w/stability ball 3x12
glute bridges w/stability ball 3x12


YIKES. The stability ball work at the end was PAINFUL..the curls particularly

Took this today. I've been doing almost ZERO cardio, but my diet is 100% and the workouts are BRUTAL. I can't wait until my REAL ABS start to show.. like the stuff in the middle, the 6 pack, whatever you wanna call it.  Time to get LEAN! Who's with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment