Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Got GLUTES?

A few months ago, my answer to that question would be: "Well, I UUUUUSED to.... before I started running 20-25 miles a week."


Fast forward since February. Forward past all of the failed reps, exhaustion, loaded barbells, stacked machines, and rock stiff legs.


My answer now: "HELL YEAH!!"


Those of you who have been following my blog KNOW that I have been on a MISSION to build a nice backside. Not only glutes, but rear delts, back, lower back, glutes, hams, calves. Nothing worse than looking GREAT from the front and like a BEFORE picture from the back. Unfortunately, that happens to a LOT of people because they never think to TRAIN what they don't SEE in the mirror all the time.


See the back of me now? My favorite is that long indentation that runs down my entire back, even showing definition in the lower back, the "erector spinae" for you technical people like me. Last thing to go is the fat that likes to hang onto my sides. And no, i will not say "love handles" because there is nothing to love about extra body fat, AND i don't have them. They don't hang over any jeans or tight pants. There's just a little extra fat that will go , SOON i hope.


Check out my leg workout from today:


warm-up and stretch out the legs for 3-5 mins.
straight to the OPEN squat rack! 


Overhead box squats: 10x10 (45lb bar/65lb bar)
**i use the smallest box. all about BELOW parallel squats. wide stance, toes pointing out. glute activator**
**after each set, I did 10 calf raises with the bar on my back**


Deadlifts: 10 sets. Started with 65. Increased weight each set until 135, then unloaded til I completed 10 sets.
set 1. 65lbs 10 reps
set 2. 85 lbs 9 reps
set 3 105 lbs 8 reps
set 4 125lbs 7 reps
set 5 135lbs 5 reps
set 6 135 lbs 5 reps
set 7 125 lbs 6 reps
set 8 105 lbs 7 reps
set 9 85 lbs 8 reps
set 10 65 lbs 10 reps


**BONUS** podium deadlifts w/45lb bar: 30 reps 


ABS hanging leg raises 3 sets 10


Step ups w/25 lb dbells 3 sets 8 reps
*superset with 25lbs total 8 reps*


Reverse hyperextensions (Bench swings) with glute SQUEEZE at top 3x12 toes pointing out
sissy squats on decline bench 3 sets 10 (superset with decline oblique twist)


Hyperextensions w/10lb plate 3x10 SLOW, controlled


**THE FINISHER** lateral and regular step ups for an entire song. (about 3 mins)


I WAS DONE. SO DONE. 


Let me also take this moment to explain how SORE my abs are after a LEG DAY. If you don't engage (or squeeze the hell out of) your abs when you deadlift and squat with LOTS of weight, you might as well ask someone to herniate some discs in your spine. Core stability and abdominal support is KEY during intense leg workouts, and therefore, you get a SICKENING abdominal workout at the same time. Hold a barbell overhead and BOOM shoulder stability is needed too, so you get your abs, shoulders, AND lower body working to their maximum potential. Moves like that get RESULTS because they are EFFECTIVE. They target multiple MAJOR muscle groups at the same time, stimulate lots of muscle fibers, and elicit a powerful response from your body both during AND after your workout. Keep in mind that post-workout requires proper care AND rest, especially if such intensive exercises are new to you.


So for everyone who bothers me about getting ABS....and trust me, there's a lot of you... GO FIND A SQUAT RACK and load on the plates! I'm doing yet ANOTHER post about abs soon, but for now, please take my advice. Your butt and abs will both benefit. Talk about bikini bod. (sorry guys...uh, speedo?)

1 comment: