Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ways to approach the treadmill

Well, you see..first you could simply walk over and introduce yourself. Linger by the side handles, but be careful not to oogle over the digital dashboard and conveyer belt just yet--you don't want to be TOO forward with the machine. Size it up, shift your weight around, walk around to the back. Once the energy exchange is mutual, maybe you step on--one foot at a time, you two have just met! Once you've established this bond, its safe to say its time to go. Well, not before you hang onto the handles and stretch out your spine, twist right and left, crack your back, loosen your hamstrings and maybe hold a quad stretch for 2 seconds. Yup, does the trick. Now you're ready.


Alright. Seriously, I think some people are afraid of the treadmill. If using the elliptical was my only means of cardio I would stab my own eye out. I'm not saying that you should get on the treadmill and throw the speed up to 9.0 and expect to fly, but everyone is capable of running. Now, I am NOT a runner. I do not consider myself one, at all. Even when I was logging 20-25 miles a WEEK around christmas...I did not think I was a runner. However, running can be pretty damn fun! Intervals, sprints, and distance running are all made a bit simpler for you by using a treadmill since well it moves FOR you, BUT it also makes sure you keep your pace until you frantically hit the down arrow to slow down.  Since time, distance, and speed are all displayed, its great for working on both your cardiovascular fitness AND your goals as a runner.


Of course I am slightly biased because I am a self-proclaimed gym rat. If it is below 70 degrees you will NOT find me running outside. Hell, you will only find me outside running if its an early morning at the track, or if I'm in Runyon canyon.


If you think you canNOT run, you might be wrong. Through my teenage years, I had  AWFUL knee pain, even went to physical therapy. I was always dancing, and was convinced that I could never be a runner because my knees hurt. Whenever I had to run a mile for gym class in middle school and high school, I had to bust my ASS to finish it in around 10 minutes. When I was 17, I got on a treadmill, with new sneakers on. I was inspired by my mom, who has always included 2-4 mile runs in her workout routines. All I wanted to do was to run a mile without stopping. I did it. Took me around 10 minutes, and I was out of breath. But my knees didn't hurt. From then on, I ran almost every day. Practiced running for longer durations of time. 10,12,15,20 minutes without stopping. Less than a year after I started, I LOVED to run, and was getting better and better, and faster.


Today, I completed 5.5 miles on the treadmill...and that was just a regular day of cardio! I'm not a fan of distance anymore, but I was dying to just run and sweat today, and my knees aren't ready for sprints quite yet...I'll give it another week or so.


So if you're one of those people who thinks they "can't run," or you just have no desire...maybe I can't change your mind, but maybe I can! 


If you're a hardcore workout fiend, try your hand at sprinting. If you've never sprinted on a treadmill before, I like to warm up, and sprint 3.0+ faster than your jog speed.
EX: you jog at 6.5 comfortably, sprint at 9.5
Also, try running backwards! Start at 1.5- your jog to get used to it.
Also, run on a 5.0+ incline. Yikes.


If you get bored with the stair master, elliptical, versa climber, and bike, and are hesitant to get on the treadmill...just do it!!! 


If you want to make a change, and SEE a change in your physique, you NEED to do things that will make you uncomfortable. Changing your typical cardio routine might not feel great, but it might be just what your system needs to shock it into high gear.


My favorite things to do on the treadmill:
--run backwards
--sprint
--do incline intervals 
--see how much distance i can possibly cover in 10 minutes


Keep your body guessing!! Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment