Saturday, July 7, 2012

I eat lots of chocolate.

The title speaks for itself. It has always been hard for me to find good sources of fat that don't bother my stomach. For a while, I thought avocados would fill that void forever. I stopped eating them. Sorry for the TMI, but lets just say my stomach felt bubbly after eating avocado. Had to stop. 


Next option: almonds, macadamia nuts! Nope, I'm a little allergic to pretty much every nut i try. unhappy tummy and sometimes redness on my cheeks and itchy mouth.


peanut butter! OH HOW I LOOOOVE PB. It doesn't love me. Any more than 1-2 teaspoons at a time and my belly retaliates. And who can really eat 1 teaspoon of peanut butter? exactly, nobody.


olive oil: never liked it, never will. the taste grosses me out. if there is EVER oil on "fresh veggies" i taste it without fail, and can't eat it. Ick.


coconut oil: meh, don't really love it enough to make it part of my every day life. 


So, here are my sources of fat: unsweetened coconut milk, fish oil, chia seeds, and most importantly...100% chocolate. That's right. Amazing source of anti-oxidants and fat. NO SUGAR. Depending on how much other fat i consume throughout the day, I eat 1 or 2 ounces of 100% chocolate each day. The first time I tried it, I thought I was eating chalk. Then, something clicked. My body LOVED it!! It doesn't SIT like a rock in my stomach, doesn't cause gas, and now i LOVE the taste! I could eat an entire bar if it were in front of me!
**I buy individually wrapped 1.5 ounce portions due to this**


Here's an AMAZING chocolate meal. No carbs. Just protein and healthy fat. Well, a marginal 2-5 carbs depending on the protein powder you use, and how much cocoa powder you add.


You need:
1 (or more) scoops protein powder. chocolate or vanilla. or another flavor to make it SUPER interesting
1-2tb unsweetened cocoa powder 
splenda/stevia/truvia (i use 1 packet)


100% chocolate unsweetened baking chocolate bar


how to put it together:
mix the protein, cocoa, sweetener, and water together in a bowl until you get a pudding consistency
using a fork or knife, finely chop/grate/shave the chocolate bar so that you get little dark chocolate shavings on top of your pudding.


results: YUM. use as little or as much chocolate on top as your diet/palate requires.


ways to add "oomph" to this: 
---use unsweetened coconut or almond milk instead of water
---add 1tb chia seeds for more healthy fats
---freeze the pudding for 20 mins. Hello ice cream!


For you calorie counters out there...
protein: (80-120cals per scoop. I use 1.5scoops sun warrior vegan protein with 80 cals a serving...so 120)
cocoa powder: 20cals/TB (30 cals for my version. 1.5TB)
chocolate: I use 1.5oz (140)


MY total: 310 calories. 28 g protein. 15g fat. 8g carbs.


PERFECT meal for a rest day, since I don't need many carbs since I'm not training! AND it really hits the chocolate craving spot.


If you like chocolate, this is a MUST try. If nothing else, please try 100% chocolate. Find it in pretty much any grocery store in the baking aisle. Unsweetened chocolate baking bars are pretty customary ... if you're unsure just check the label and most of the calories should come from fat. 0g sugars, 4g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g protein is pretty standard for a serving of real chocolate.


GO EAT SOME CHOCOLATE! Not the hershey kiss version.

No comments:

Post a Comment