Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I think i got this ...

Alright. Last week i was posting a lot about how SORE i was feeling. for WAY too long after my workouts, especially legs. SO. I decided i HAD to get a hold on this issue, simply because I was in pain!


Here's what i DIDNT DO:
go to vitamin shoppe and buy every supplement that could help combat muscle soreness
stop working out entirely
suck it up and cry my joints to sleep at night after working out


Okay. you get the point.
I had to re-evaluate. Since my diet was not the culprit here, since my carbohydrate intake wasn't reduced or anything, I had to figure out how to make things better with my training and recovery. I decided that i NEEDED to force myself to do more foam rolling and stretching at HOME as well. So, Instead of doing cardio and weights during pretty much every workout, I switched my routine. I alternate between cardio DAYS and strength DAYS. I started this on Saturday:
Saturday--the track workout i blogged about (heavy cardio)
Sunday--Heavy shoulder workout with some chest incorporated
Monday--40 minutes of intervals on the treadmill, 20 minutes elliptical +ab work
Tuesday--Heavy Leg training
Wednesday--30 minutes stair master, 30 minutes elliptical, *new*killer ab exercise+pushups at the end.


It's been working GREAT. I'm able to really KILL my cardio and do more running because my legs aren't worn out! And who would have thought I'd be able to stomach the STAIR monster the day after a LEG workout?! Well, here's what i changed about post-leg workout. I foam rolled and stretched after my workout. But it didn't stop after I left the gym. Yesterday as the day went on, if my hamstrings and quads were tensing up, I got down and STRETCHED them out! I also did more foam rolling to break up the tension in the muscles. It's amazing what the extra care can do! 
Another plus of this new regimen? My legs are looking REALLY lean! It's the running and leg work coming together! Depending how I feel, I might switch up my routine AGAIN in a week or so to incorporate 20 minutes of HIIT treadmill sprints 3x a week after working out, and do a 4-5 mile run once a week.


It's all about change! Finding out what works best is a continual process, and you need to remain in tune with your body, and remember to SWITCH things up to observe the impact on your body's function and appearance.


One saying that does NOT apply to reaching your fitness goals: "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Well, if you never try to fix it, you might never realize something was broken in the first place, right?


This morning, as i was deep in thought while eating my oats, i thought of a brilliant quote. Yes, i'm owning this quote.


"Dedication will get you much further than desire."


QUOTE ME ON THAT, THANKS!


Here are pics from before my workout this morning:


No comments:

Post a Comment