Saturday, April 7, 2012

Thursday HIIT blast

On Thursday, I finished class at 12:15 and wanted to be in and out of the gym really quick so I could go HOME for Easter Weekend to be with my family. My goal was 45 minutes in the gym. Check it:


Treadmill HIIT:


Format---Run for 3 minutes (7.0 minimum pace, end run with sprint 9.0+), walk 1 minute @4.0
*If you are not an experienced runner, maintain 5.5 minimum pace, sprint 7.5+ , etc. Modify the speeds I give to your own ability. If you think that sounds SLOW, then UP THE ANTE and show me up!!)
Check out my stats: 
Sick right? Here's the thing: I started using my ability to run as a way to TORCH calories on the treadmill, utilizing sprints and intervals instead of just running "x amount of miles" For me, 4 mile runs are easy. That's a prelude to a workout. Not when I do it THIS WAY. I use my 3 minute running segments to gradually climb from 7.0 to 8.5, and try to beat my sprint speed each round. Towards the beginning, I sprint at 9.0 to warm everything up. By the 3rd round, I start upping the sprints by .5 each time, so by the end I'm pushing 11.5mph, praying for my 4.0 recovery minute. This way is much more challenging, and more FUN for me. i LIKE to bust my ass in the gym. I'm not a fan of comfort and ease. Sprinting is also great for your lower body musculature: it adds nice shape to calves, glutes, and quads. Not to mention, you feel so ACCOMPLISHED after finishing a tough sprint workout! 
After 36 minutes of treadmill work, I did:
Wide stance pushups 2 sets 10
Narrow stance pushups 2 sets 10
Dive bomber pushups 2 sets 10
Tricep dips on ground 2 sets 20
*NO RESTS*


---45 minute workout: 451 calories. BOOM! Felt GREAT, and peaced OUT of the gym, packed my stuff, and got my butt on the train home!

No comments:

Post a Comment