Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Crazy Liz at it again

Happy Tuesday!!! If you keep up with my blogs, you should definitely know by now that Tuesdays are the day that I sacrifice my buns and thighs to the fitness deities.


Yeah, aka--Leg day. The day I squat, lunge, deadlift, and leg press in every way imaginable.
So, as opposed to me working out at 3 after being in class from 8-1:45 (yeah, it's one of THOSE schedules. Leg Day just completes the hellish nature of Tuesdays in my world..), today I worked out in the morning, because my morning class was canceled. 


I know. Most kids probably slept. Not Liz. In fact, I was an absolute nut job because listen to how my morning went:


6:30--wake up to eat oats with chia seeds and protein powder, then go back to sleep until 7:45am, and be at the gym before 8:15.


You're wondering. What the hell? Well, here's why I woke up and then went back to bed: I need to have carbs in my system before a hard workout, especially when its strength training. Carbs are the number one source of fuel for muscles when they need energy. I need at least an hour to digest, because I like to feel like my stomach is empty when I workout. That's why I woke up to eat and went back to bed for an extra 45 minutes.


Anyway. It was so worth it. The extra sleep was great.


When I walked into the gym, I almost GAGGED when I saw how many PEOPLE were in the weight room!! I was SO pissed, because the leg press: taken, squat racks: taken, smith machine: taken, benches: taken. Where the HELL was i gonna start?! Then , I came out of the locker room, and I guess people sensed my bitchy attitude, because almost everything was available! LOL. People know not to eff with MY workout plan. 


The workout:


--Leg press:
single leg 2 sets 
calf raises 20 reps
feet together no plates 20 reps warmup
feet wide toes turned out 20 reps warmup
--45lbs each side 12 reps, 5 negative reps (follow with 12 calf raises)
--90lbs each side, 12 reps
--135 lbs each side, 10 reps
--135 lbs each side, 8 reps
----I should have gone for the 4th plate, NEXT week I'm gonna kill it!! 


--Lunges holding 25lb plates
2 sets 10 reverse lunges
2 sets 10 alternating lunges
2 sets 10 static lunges


Smith machine: Squats/lunges/deadlifts


Smith squats
--45 lbs 2 sets 15
--65 lbs 12 reps
--90 lbs 12 reps
**superset with standing military press 45/65lbs**


Deadlifts
--45 lbs warmup 2 sets 12
--65lbs 12 reps
--100 lbs 10 reps
**superset with side lunges no weight**


Smith plie squats
--45 lbs 2 sets 15
--65 lbs 2 sets 12
--90 lbs 2 sets 10
**superset with 12 squat jumps**


Smith split squats
--45lbs 2 sets 12
--65 lbs 12 reps
**superset with the following:**
I don't know what this exercise is called, but on all fours, place the sole of your shoe on the bar of the smith machine, heel toward the ceiling, and push the bar with your glute muscles. This is a 3 point position, and requires shoulder and core stability as well. I'll call it the 3 point kickback


3 point kickback
45 lbs 2 sets 10
65 lbs 2 sets 10


Trap Bar Deadlift
*NEW TOY!!* I've been wanting to try out this baby for a while, and WOW is it different! The weight is distributed SO differently, and the bar feels REALLY heavy for some reason. Maybe its because I'm new to it, but it feels WAY heavier than a 45lb standard barbell.


Just the bar 2 sets 10 reps
--25lb plate on each side 10 reps
--25 lb plate on each side 9 reps (the 8th rep was near impossible!)
**superset with hyperextensions**


Cable kickbacks 2 sets 20 reps
Cable lateral kicks 2 sets 20 reps


Glute raise and Hamstring curls with stability ball
3 sets 10 reps


ALL DONE!! Was definitely feeling it in my legs.
My initial plan was to go BACK to the gym after class to do some cardio, but I ended up walking around in the beautiful weather, totaling over 5 miles! My legs feel quite heavy now..


I must say, as I reflect on today's workout, I think it's time to UP my weights a bit. My legs are getting WAY stronger. Next week might get REAL HEAVY! 4 plates on the leg press, 135 lb squats and deadlifts. I'm ready. My body is ready for it Now.


I can't believe I spent over an HOUR doing leg work, and NO cardio! And i didn't hate it! I'm starting to LOVE my leg workouts, not to mention the results. My butt is looking better than ever. Still a bit small for my liking, but these things take time and EFFORT !! 
Til next lift..


Xoxo, Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment