Saturday, August 11, 2012

Weekend treat: Heavy iron

After a week of good workouts and LOTS of attention for the glutes and hams, and hours logged on the stair monster, Saturday plan was: AM Fasted cardio, 45 minutes moderate intensity.
I woke up, took BCAAs and glutamine, got ready, and drank coffee on the way to the gym. I ended up kicking my ass on the stair master for 50 minutes, which is more moderate-high intensity ... no elliptical-like boredom or ease on that machine. I don't know what it is, something about my work ethic always leads me to the hardest workout possible. Both Octane ellipticals were vacant, but there was a stair monster available...and it just called my name. I'm addicted to the hard work. The need to peel my tank top off after 3 minutes of warming up on it (Yes, I'm one of those people who works out in just a sports bra sometimes. I just get too damn sweaty! It's not to show off, especially because the stair monsters are in the back of the cardio equipment..I'm not parading around half naked...though there's nothing wrong with that if you look the part and are working your ass off.)
I digress...
I bumped 50cent for almost my entire workout, and then ended with Ying Yang Twins. I found myself damn near booty popping up the stairs...it keeps me going! Lol. 
Anyway, I went home and had my breakfast, and couldn't stop thinking about how my shoulders haven't felt SORE or torn apart in WEEKS. I just had this urge to train heavy, and all day it was bothering me. I also think, subconsciously, I wanted my pre-workout monster and post-workout shake and rice cakes..just maybe. So, At 5pm, I suited back up and headed back to the gym, determined to tear my delts apart, and also hit triceps a little bit. 
Picking up 25lb dumbbells and pressing them over my head felt amazing. No neck pain (injury is definitely gone) whatsoever. I've lost a bit of strength since I stopped training heavy about 3-4 weeks ago. The last heavy shoulder workout I had, I was pressing 35's FINALLY...for 5 reps. Today, I used 25s for 4 sets of 8 seated shoulder press. I used to FLING 25s...and I was challenged by them today.  I did standing shoulder presses, Upright rows (with the 40lb barbell instead of the 20 i've been using,) and more lateral raises than one could imagine.

Highlight of my workout: 
I set up for push-presses, I warmed up 2 sets of 10 with the 45lb bar, then put a 10lb plate on each side. I put it up for 8 reps NO problem, then a set of 6, then set of 4, then dropped back to the 45 for 8 extra reps.
If you aren't a fan of training shoulders, this post is probably incredibly boring for you. If you're anything like me, this post has you itching to train those delts and hit them from every angle possible. It felt so good to see the veins in my delts and arms pop out, and for the caps of my shoulders to actually FEEL hot from the burning muscle. I was on cloud 9--it's made of iron and rains sweat in case you've never been there.
I will definitely enjoy my day off tomorrow, and I'm thrilled that I treated myself to an extra workout today--unless you're sore and tired and severely overtrained, I don't think its EVER a bad idea to have an EXTRA workout, even if you didnt PLAN for it to happen. Just like if you planned to workout, and feel absolutely incapable and too sore to perform, you CAN skip the workout and just do it the following day. Listening to your body works both ways. The neck injury I had told me to back off the heavy weights for a couple of weeks, and I'm not going back to my former heavy lifting routine just yet, but my body was CRAVING the iron, just like you might CRAVE sugar..
I'm so happy I can't stand it. And for the record, my new egg protein powder tastes like Swiss Miss Hot chocolate...too bad theres 420mg sodium and therefore i will NOT be purchasing it again..it's the yummiest thing in the WORLD. 
Tomorrow I'm treating myself to time alone in the city to walk around, shop, get steamed broccoli from whole foods (not that excited about that part), and just spend time in my favorite neighborhoods...and do some shopping for my birthday :) 

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment