Thursday, August 16, 2012

My mind's telling me no....

But my BODDDYYYYYY is telling me yeeeeesssss


Ok. Now that I've used an R.Kelly reference (kudos to those of you who instantly knew), time for a blog of thoughts.
While I am definitely noticing changes in my physique, my mind does NOT want to allow them to happen. It's like my stupid female brain saying, "whoa there, why are you stripping more fat from your body, you need to have some kids. You are a girl, you need FAT on you."

Example: I was doing cable chest flies and presses the other day, and all of the bones in my sternum area are starting to show, and the cuts in my shoulders as well. Naturally, I know its not a big deal--actually, I like it, and know that means I'm losing body fat. But my mind is like whoa there skinny, not so fast.. 

So what happens? Even though I LOVE that I'm making progress, and gradually speeding up the fat loss process, I find myself UNCOMFORTABLY hungry sometimes, to the point where I feel as if I'm underfeeding myself (even though I track everything, so I know its not the case.) Due to the fact that I have 2 competitions to look forward to, I DO NOT give into this hunger. It's hard, somewhat painful, but it usually subsides if I distract myself. These are mindgames. If I weren't training for a competition, I would never force myself to starve until my next meal--but that is likely why I never lost that FAT I wanted to. 

My advice to non-competitors (who are trying to lose a few pounds) is this: if you find yourself hungry out of your mind AFTER waiting 20 minutes, you need to feed yourself. Evaluate the calories and macronutrients of your daily diet, and adjust. Maybe even adding 1 teaspoon of fat or some fish oil supplements to each meal will fix your hunger issues. And eat your damn green vegetables (other colors are cool too.)

And my advice to people who are simply trying to put on muscle: EAT. self-explanatory. 

I've been in a slight funk with my blog lately, because there is SO much I want to write, but I don't feel the mind power to sit down and tackle it. I lose focus when I try to write a post. My mind is so focused on my training and stressing about how far I have to go in the next 7.5 weeks to look good enough for ME on stage. I refuse to be one of the girls on stage that shouldn't be up there. The one that everyone in the audience thinks, "yikes." 

Don't kill me for this, but having a naturally lean midsection is a slight curse when it comes to contest prep and diet. Every morning, no matter what I ate the day before or sodium or carbs or no cardio etc, my abs look pretty good. If I cut carbs, sodium, and water over 48 hours, and tanned, my abs would look just fine on stage. With that said, I have to constantly remind myself of everything else with FAT to lose. This causes a bit drama because I refuse to talking myself into believing that I'm fat. That isn't healthy. I might not be fat, but I sure got some ish to lose--particularly in the muffin top department, inner thigh, and I majorly have to tighten my ham/glute area. This is where contest prep has to be approached as strictly business. I have to lose the fat and get everything super lean because this is a TASK, not because I hate my body and want to be different. Not everyone understands this, hence why competing isn't for the weak-minded. I wasn't ready for this business-only approach a few months ago. After lots of thinking and objectively studying the sport of bodybuilding and athletics in general..it's just a part of the equation. Scrutinizing every single thing you eat and time spent in the gym is to excel in the competition, not to send yourself into a self-deprecating tailspin.

With all of that said, I killed my hamstrings for an hour and a half today.  I spent 65 minutes on the stair monster yesterday. I'm going out on a limb and saying that training is going well.

News: I got an iPhone, follow my instagram: lizbrody

Love!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment