Tuesday, August 21, 2012

12 weeks to failure

So, being that I'm on a standard "12 weeks contest prep," I've been thinking a lot about how a lot of people expect to make INSANE transformations in 12 weeks. Is it possible? hell yeah, look at all of the bodybuilders and fitness competitors who get absolutely shredded in as little as 4 weeks. However, most competitors who take 8-12 weeks to get into contest shape do not STAY in contest shape all year.

Therefore, you should never put such a strict deadline on your own physique goals unless you are stepping on stage or doing a photo shoot, etc. If you are truly looking to change your lifestyle, set SMALLER goals. If you are currently walking around on the soft/chubby side, your body likes being there. It's your MIND that doesn't. If you're currently scrawny and want to add serious muscle, don't expect to get those shapely and muscular curves after 12 weeks of "clean bulking" and heavy lifting. The human body is incredibly complex, and no matter how strong-willed you might be, you might not be able to convince your muscles and fat cells and metabolism to cooperate with your desperate physique aspirations.

Rather than trying to drop from a size 14 to a size 6 in a matter of months, try to schedule 2 extra cardio sessions per week, and swap some starchy carbs for an extra serving of green veggies everyday. Give your body AT LEAST 2 weeks to adjust to this before adding more workouts or depleting more fats and sugars from your diet. Once your body adjusts, maybe experiment with a TRX workout, or boxing, or a session with a personal trainer, and swap out fruits for vegetables in your diet. Again, GRADUAL changes. For people trying to PUT ON weight--don't just eat and eat and eat until you're sick. Add calories GRADUALLY so you're skinny body can acclimate itself. Build your calories with your strength. As you increase your caloric intake and continue to practice in the gym, you will be able to lift heavier and see muscle growth and results.

The reason I am emphasizing the importance of making gradual changes to your lifestyle is because I know what it's like to benefit from them. I've been on this health and fitness journey for about 2 years now, and over the course of those years I've become a great runner, lifter, pole dancer, blogger, and personal chef ;) No matter how many times I tried to "get skinny quick" via shape magazine throughout highschool, it never worked. Why? Because after 2 weeks of depleting and going crazy, my body wanted to shut down! Once I finally grasped the idea of making gradual changes, my body reacted the way i had always WANTED it to. When I reflect on the past 2 years, I don't feel that I was trying to "lose 10 pounds in 10 days." I have been trying to slowly and steadily build the body I've always dreamed of. I've surpassed previous expectations, and created NEW physique goals. NOW I'm preparing to step on stage the TINIEST I've ever been, with far more symmetry and muscular development than I had as a teenager. So this 12 week contest prep is not my "lifestyle change," it is simply to go from sort of lean to shredded on stage. 

After my shows, I WILL gain back 4-5 pounds almost immediately due to water weight and simply eating. It is NOTHING to worry about, because it is part of how the human body WORKS! Without leaning out VERY slowly, the body will think it is depleted (such as the case for many competitors including myself.) 12 weeks is NOT a long time. Like I said, it has taken my body two years to be comfortable at a lean and muscular size 2-4, rather than a fluffy size 8-10. Give yourself TIME to evolve, and ENOY the process. Oh, while you're at it---eat some extra oat bran for me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment