Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cheat Meals

For those of you reading this post with hopes of me telling you whether or not you should have "cheat" meals...sorry. First of all, I don't like the word CHEAT .. rather, I refer to it as a TREAT or just off-plan. Especially when trying to lean out, I give myself the opportunity to eat something BEYOND my macros and calorie requirements once every 7-10 days. I'm writing this post because I haven't had anything "off-plan" since last sunday, have been working my ASS off, am finally enjoying my first day of REST, and am deciding whether or not i should eat that extra 300-500 calories I allow myself, and WHAT I should eat if I do. 
I know my body well enough to know that it does NOT react well to a super carb fest. For me, one carby treat spikes my need for more carbs, and I feel like crap afterwards. I could do some peanut butter, but then again...1-2tablespoons might spur my appetite for more, and leave my tummy upset. I will likely just double my serving of oats one morning, because that will make me VERY happy, and mentally sound with the small volume of "treat."
That is a small treat, but my birthday is in 8 days, and I already know what I'm having--So Delicious NO SUGAR ADDED coconut milk ice cream. I'm going to make myself a protein cake and eat as much of that as I want (the whole container is 400 cals.) If anything, I'll have a tummy ache from artificial sweetener, but I havent had that stuff since MAY, and i LOVE it.
Some of you might be thinking I'm out of my mind for thinking so far in advance. Guess what? That's what it takes when you're serious about making changes. 
I keep very close track of my food intake and exercise, and this past week, I completed 5 hours and 45 minutes of cardio, along with 2 upper body circuit workouts and 2 lower body circuit workouts--those last almost an hour, and involve plyometrics and non-stop training. Needless to say, I'm burning a TON of calories, and not consuming excess. Therefore, I think I can spare a few extra calories once a week.


Whether your goal is to lose weight, lean out, or muscle up and gain weight, I recommend eating HEALTHY treats. In my opinion, you're way better off eating homemade sweet potato fries and homemade burger as opposed to going for fast food. The extra benefit about eating HEALTHY treats is that your old appetite for SUPER BAD FOOD isn't triggered. I didn't grow up eating lots of candy or fast food, so don't have the craving for it. However, artificial peanut butter and processed cereal were a HUGE part of my childhood diet--hence why I avoid them now. I'd much rather eat entirely natural PB and oats as a treat since they are unprocessed, whole foods, that are a part of many people's healthy diet.


Whatever you decide to eat, make sure you DO eat what you love, and don't deny yourself of foods you crave all day and night, because that usually ends with an empty 24-serving container and a full stomach and bloat for 2 days. That's another reason to "treat yourself" with whole foods as opposed to lurching for the oreos ... the unprocessed foods can be broken down and USED by your body, and won't sit around in your GI tract for hours upon hours, causing you distress. If you eat CLEAN most of the time, your body doesn't remember (and doesn't want to) what to do with the CRAP in colorful packages with 19 ingredients and 17 artificial colors. By being mindful of every ingredient (not calorie) that enters your body, you are still on your way to success. As I always stress--not all calories are created equal. In the long run , a few extra tablespoons of nut butter will do much better than a McDouble. Always keep the quality of your food in mind, even when you're eating off plan.


Here are some sensible treat ideas:
*they are sensible because they are WHOLE foods*
--dark chocolate (anything less than 100% is a no-go in my diet book, but 70% + cocoa is a sensible and arguably beneficial treat due to the anti-oxidant properties)
--brown rice pasta or farro with marinara
--Homemade pancakes made with oat bran or whole wheat flour, use fresh fruit compote instead of syrup. REAL maple syrup to indulge, no aunt jemima crap
--Lean grass-fed beef burger and sweet potato fries
--starchy veggies like beets, carrots, snap peas, squash, corn .. in excess
--Trail mix
--a few pieces of fruit, cups of fresh berries
--dried fruits like dates, raisins, etc. more or less natural CANDY
--possibilities are ENDLESS.. and there are millions of healthy muffin/baked good recipes all over blogs and healthy living magazine websites that use all natural and whole ingredients...and are often low in sugar and super easy to make


some not "whole food" options are protein bars--a good "go-to
treat on the go
there are lots more, but i don't eat them, so i can't think of them at the moment.


some "health food store" finds that are YUMMY and unprocessed:
--Ezekiel products (Everything from granola to burger buns)
--SoDelicious coconut milk products: yogurts, ice creams, creamers, etc **arguable because of the Carageenan scandal** favorable for the most part, and a super win on calorie factor and taste, and the benefits of eating COCONUT products.
--GO RAW super cookies and bars -- made of whole flax seeds, dates, spirulina, etc. I highly recommend that carrot cake cookies and banana bread bar
--Arctic Zero protein ice cream . 150 calories a pint! If only I weren't so dairy intolerant..


MOST IMPORTANTLY: ENJOY THIS FOOD, and do NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP ABOUT IT! It's your choice to eat clean, and it's also your choice to indulge. Do what makes you happy.


What do you LOVE to treat yourself to?

2 comments:

  1. I like to treat myself to some tablespoons of nut butter, Arctic zero, dark chocolate, or cheese on my burgers. ;)

    I also really don't like it when people say that they "cheated" with a meal! In my opinion, food's there for FUEL and to keep you alive! It's meant for you to enjoy and stuff-- not to make you feel bad about it! The fact that people let an inanimate object/food make them feel bad is kind of ridiculous, and I just wish that more people realized that!

    Awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. liz, you should try the Arctic Zero, I have had every flavor and to be honest, since there is no lactose in it, it may NOT bother your stomach... I am the QUEEN of ALLERGIES to Dairy, but for some reason this doesn't bother me... just a little tip for my girl! XX

    ReplyDelete