Sunday, September 9, 2012

NASM workshop recap

So, if you aren't familiar with the NASM, its a well-respected and popular organization through which many people obtain fitness certifications to prove their expertise. NASM stands for National Academy of Sports Medicine. I'm earning my personal training cert through NASM, and attended a 8 hour live learning workshop today, as a precursor to taking the written exam. I won't lie, I have NOT been studying my textbook as I should be. I assumed that listening and taking notes at the workshop would pretty much set me up for the test, since I am ALWAYS reading about updates in the field of exercise.

WRONG.

After attending the learning workshop, I am re-inspired to crack the textbook and memorize the difference between the biceps femoris (nope, not in your arm people) and the TFL (tensor fasciae latae,) and many more. The workshop did teach me a lot of useful things. I learned a lot about functional anatomy, and need to get more comfortable with addressing concentric, eccentric, isometric, flexion, hip extension, muscular imbalances, etc. These are all things i KNOW, but couldn't necessarily explain to someone in an eloquent manner.
The workshop also taught me about program designing, and the importance of keeping your client's muscle imbalances in mind when deciding EVERY component of the program--from trigger point and warmup, to the resistance training. 

Okay. You guys know I have an opinion. Let me tell you what made my skin crawl by the end of the lecture. NASM training structure is like ANTI-LIZ BRODY. My workouts are probably the instructor's nightmare. The trainer stressed that NASM training programs are set by evidence, and their effectiveness is based on research--fair. What about all of the articles on VOLUME training that I've read from RESPECTED sources, that cite actual studies? I asked the instructor what he thought of German volume training: 10x10, and explained that I use it in deadlifts. Another BUFF dude said that he used Japanese method of 5x5 bench press, using 245lbs for each set. The instructor actually said that there is no evidence that those programs work. He finally backed down and agreed that such programs MIGHT lead to strength gains, but continued to insist that since NASM is backed by RESEARCH, that it would be more effective.

That's just one instance. The instructor also bashed split-training. Made fun of bodybuilders who devote a day to shoulders, chest, back, legs, etc. Umm, excuse me?! And also, according to him, a deadlift is not the same type of full body exercise as a squat to curl to overhead press. Little remarks like that over an 8 hour period drove me NUTS!!!! And this guy didn't exactly look like the world's fittest guy either. 6'3 (he only mentioned that like 8 times...), and not particularly buff, nor lean.

Bottom line is that NASM training is NOT about looking like a fitness model. Perfect textbook exercise form trumps true muscle pump in the NASM standards. Cheating a movement to crank out negative reps isn't kosher over there. Overloading the muscles to the point of cripple is not in the NASM book.  But, that is because most personal trainers do not have the luxury of working with athletes and competitors. The typical client is a couch potato looking to drop out of the overweight category. For these reasons, the NASM guidelines are appropriate: safe protocol for the average man or woman, with potential for results.

Don't get me wrong. I can learn a lot from the NASM textbook. But the more valuable lesson here: sometimes, you need to agree with principles you do NOT believe in, in order to get what you need. In this case, I will suck it up, memorize the facts, and pass the test. I can assure you that I would never expect a client to perform the same types of workouts that I do, but I certainly will not be stopping at 3 sets per body part, just because NASM says so. I will continue to overload and cripple, because it sure works for me, and the bodybuilders and competitors I've learned from.

My bitch comment of the post: The instructor stopped at BAJA FRESH for lunch...

Best part of the workshop: 3 notably attractive black men with very nice physiques. A little eye candy never hurt during an overhead squat assessment!!

You bet I'm crackin that textbook and cozying up with my study guide to make sure I PASS the exam when I take it--hopefully SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment