Monday, September 24, 2012

Closer and Closer.

I am SO close to my first show.  I've been reflecting a lot about how I've taken myself through this journey, with no help. No, not NO help.

I haven't paid anyone to help me. The internet is the world's most fucking amazing resource people. Blogs, scientific articles, fitness pro's facebook pages, twitter, etc--are all available to everyone at NO cost. It takes a certain person to read through the bullshit to find the gems--be that person. Read for pleasure, but with intention. Find bloggers or fitness professionals that are currently doing what you aspire to do. Follow them, subscribe to their updates. LEARN from them.

Wanna have the physique of a competitor? Well, don't you think it's a good idea to find out what the pros do to look that way on stage? It's not stalking, it's LEARNING. WATCH Erin Stern and Nicole Wilkins cheesy little Q+A videos, you might learn something new! You have to be 100% invested in yourself if you want to make any type of transformation, so soak up all of the information available to you, and APPLY some of it. Whether you want to drop 10 pounds, gain 10 pounds, get shredded and become an IFBB pro--you need to do the hard work. Paying someone for a plan isn't going to get you there. If you commit yourself to that plan 110% percent, then yes--YOU will get somewhere.

That is exactly the reason I chose to train and prep myself. I am NOT a team player, and I don't really like being told what to do. I have the self-control to plaster myself to the stairmaster if I slip off my diet. I cried in pain during my prep from pushing myself so hard. No coach was pressuring me, I have such a strong laser focus that I am able to push myself beyond my limits. Sometimes, that's not such a good thing (avoiding tears during prep is a good thing...not a bad thing.) By taking myself through this process, I've also learned a lot about what I WANT for myself after my shows are over. I don't want to gorge on food and go into a forever "off season." This is a new way of life for me. I've become incredibly disciplined during these past couple of months, and have come to understand the notable difference between a real tablespoon and a hungry tablespoon. I look forward to staying lean after my shows, and slowly taking off some muscle and overall size (yes, I've decided I'd like to be a little smaller) and continuing to sculpt my backside. Being smaller is more appealing to me--perhaps since I've been "big" for so LONG! Also, I do see myself competing in the bikini division for a while, so I will continue to bring my shape closer to the bikini "mold." 

I've also learned to appreciate the energy that calories give me for my workouts. After my shows are done, I will NOT bring my calorie intake up by 500 calories immediately and stop doing cardio. I want to slowly up my daily calories, while revving my metabolism by performing explosive cardio and hard weight workouts. I've learned that eating between 3-4,000 calories primarily from carbs on the same day as a full body scorcher does not put ANY weight on me if I stick to my diet ALL week, and only do that ONE day. I will continue to do that after my shows, and will definitely be enjoying lots of fall foods....AHEM, PUMPKIN.

I've learned that I can complete intense workouts WITHOUT insane amounts of "fuel" in my body. Um, bodyfat is a pretty good source of fuel, in case you weren't aware. By keeping a steady flow of carbohydrates, and staying really full by eating a veggie feast each night, I've stayed content on my contest diet. Cravings are unleashed on my one day a week to eat super carbs...but I do NOT crave real junk, simply because I didn't really grow up eating any real junk, and its never in my house! Except the occasional leftover birthday cake or home made cookies. I have a pretty clean palate--it craves oatmeal, and boring stuff like that.

I really do LOVE working out, pushing myself, and proving that it IS possible to do it on your own. I understand that many don't know where to start, and that's why I write this blog. Start here. Sort through my posts, understand what I've done to get myself here. Understand the long journey behind this physique that is currently less than 3 weeks away from a National Qualifier NPC bikini show.


So yes, I'm extremely proud of how far I've come. But I am not done. I never will be. Always strive to be the best version of yourself.

Love, 
Liz

1 comment: