Sunday, September 23, 2012

Get OUT of your GYM!

With 3 weeks left until my first NPC bikini show, its safe to say I've seen a lot of the gym. Oh, and it doesn't help that i WORK at the gym that i WORKOUT at. I absolutely love my gym, hold it very close to my heart. But sometimes, a change of scenery is REALLY what I need. Since school is back in session, I can't hit up the school track anymore because the kids use it during the week. I don't run on the streets, I'm not a roadrunner. So, I've been an absolute gym rat.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to train with Kelvin Gary at his brand new facility in Manhattan:
Bodyspace Fitness .

First, allow me to rave about the fact that my friend Val and I had the entire gym to ourselves! Kelvin trained us together, and there were no other clients in the gym. Talk about private training! The gym is outfitted with turf, (pretty sure the only turf spot on 14th street...) kettlebells, dumbbells, cables, racks, ropes, a SLED, stationary bikes, treadmills, and LOTS of fun toys.

Kelvin set up some circuits to challenge us involving pretty much every toy possible. Sandbags, kettlebells, sled, dynamax balls, TRX, ropes--you get the idea. I loved the set up, and I was able to use things I'd NEVER worked with before, but have always wanted to.

I know--Personal training can get expensive, but even if you're a seasoned athlete or think you know everything about fitness--you don't. Personal training is NOT only for beginners!! I believe that I am NEVER done learning. I will never know ENOUGH about fitness. Another set of eyes on you is a plus, because you might benefit from a little correction! I learned how to make my kettlebell swings more effective for the hips and glutes, rather than being a knee-driven motion like I had previously been favoring.
Another major benefit of working with Kelvin (or a GOOD trainer): he mindfully planned a workout for me and Val to complete, with timed intervals of rest and work, which kept the workout organized and effective. He also structured the circuits like I do for my own workouts, ensuring that you can keep moving from one exercise to the next without a certain group of muscles being too taxed. Example: first exercise shoulder/back dominant, next exercise leg dominate, next exercise arm/core dominant, next exercise speed/agility focus..etc. Keeps you moving without being to fatigued to complete a number of exercises back to back---maximizing effectivity and calorie burn. That, people...is what I like to call smart training.
Don't try doing a circuit of back squats, lunges, deadlifts, and box jumps. By the second round you might hurt yourself.
Another plus about working with a trainer: They make up the workout for you! Kelvin was creative, and was able to direct Val and I so we didn't really have to THINK at all. JUST WORK OUT.

Reasons BODYSPACE is worth a visit:
--Kelvin (and his trainers) are seriously awesome, and know their stuff. They care about fitness.
--You will leave your comfort zone. If not willingly, you will be pushed.
--Access to some seriously valuable training equipment that might not be available in your gym. Battle ropes and the sled are tools I'd KILL to have regular access to. Let me say---battle ropes are a bitch. Legs hurt but you wanna spike your heart rate? Back away from the elliptical, go find some ropes. Don't stop for 30 seconds.
--You don't have to fear the crazy gym goer or people dropping weights near your feet
--Even if you're a gym snob, it never hurts to have another set of eyes watching you while you perform exercises. Especially for less seasoned athletes, small corrections can change the way an exercise targets a certain bodypart, and save you from injury or unnecessary strains.
--SO. MANY. TOYS!!!!
One thing you can be sure of: I WILL be going back there to train, and maybe shoot some videos with my girl Val.

THANK YOU KELVIN!! MORE TO COME.

Dear New York boutique fitness connoisseurs: If you pay upwards of $30 to take a packed class, it might be a good idea for you to miss a class and head over to BODYSPACE for a different approach. They do offer small group classes, but some one on one attention might be just what you need to tap into your inner fitness fiend and wake up those muscles. Yes, I'm quietly insulting boutique-y clique-y pilates/barre/lululemon only studios (too many exist.) Pulsing your foot behind you for 43 minutes before hitting a plank or two and curling 3 pound weights will NOT sculpt the body you've always wanted. Nor burn the calories from your skinny vanilla latte. Go see Kelvin and say Liz sent you to build some muscle.

On that note....GO TRAIN!!! GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment