Thursday, December 29, 2011

Reflection on 2011

Typically, I would be writing about an awesome workout and cardio session on a Thursday, as a few months ago, I incorporated "Treadmill Thursday" into my workout regimen.  However, if there's one major thing I learned during 2011, its that you MUST listen to your body. After my workout yesterday, I knew I'd be sore...but DAMN!!! My entire back is so sore, and my legs are still feeling the burn from my workouts monday through wednesday. So, this morning I woke up at 7:30, made breakfast for my mom and I, brewed the coffee, and thought about whether or not I should go to the gym. I decided that working out today would not benefit me very much physically because I'm too sore to push myself to the limits and workout as HARD as I like to. Therefore, today was my rest day for the week. My last day of rest was Saturday, so 4 hard workouts later...my body wants a calm day of rest. 
Sooo instead of working out in the morning with mom as usual, mom and I hung out in the kitchen until 9:30 or so, drinking our favorite gingerbread coffee from Trader Joe's, then decided to return something to Loehmann's. I picked up a pair of really cool burgundy Hudson skinny jeans in a SIZE 26!! WHAT?! I think they must run big or something...but whatever. 
Anyway, As I sit here typing away on my new blog, just two days away from 2012, I can't help but smile at how far I've come. Last year, at this same exact time, I was feeling bloated and guilty from all the treats I "treated myself" to during Christmas festivities. (Not to mention, my dairy allergy made me feel even worse because nearly everything contains dairy..) I didn't even like the way I looked in my New Year's dress, because I gained a few pounds during the Holidays. I was still working out every day, but doing 60% cardio, 20% yoga, and the rest of the 20% was mainly strength training. Running on the treadmill everyday is a good way to sweat, and burn calories...but oh baby when you don't wanna run..what else is there to do?! Looking back on the majority of my 2011 workouts, i cannot believe how much frickin' RUNNING I did. Running was definitely a good way to keep myself occupied in the gym, and I always made new goals for myself --be it distance, speed, et cetera. But there came a point where my body didnt WANT to run run run every day of the week. What did I do when my legs didn't feel like running during 2011? Likely, I took a hot yoga class, or maybe did some upper body strength training on the cables, and focus on my core. From the beginning of 2011 to about May, I continued to focus on my running, and developing my skill on the pole, despite a bad tear in my left shoulder, which took me out of pole dancing and away from lifting for about 8 weeks solid. My need to rehabilitate my shoulder injury put me back on the cables 4 days a week, because i WANTED to gain my strength back so I could advance in pole dancing. Needless to say, after about 3 months of hard work, my shoulder was feeling good, and I was back at it on the pole. In May, I moved out of my NYC dorm and back to Rye, and started working at the cafe in Equinox. Being in the gym so often, and having no friends around made me want to workout whenever possible. 
Something came over me: I wanted to be lean, smaller, fitter, stronger.  I wanted to be REALLY good at pole dancing. I NEEDED the abs I only dreamed about. I worked SO hard in the gym before and after my shifts at the snack bar, doing extra cardio, lifting HEAVIER, and finally started to see more muscle definition.  My diet was improving, but I learned later on that I was eating WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR. Never candy, no refined sugar...but nature's candy--FRUIT.  Working at a snack bar, I mainly sustained my work days on smoothies: protein powder and fruit. too much sugar, too many carbs. Bananas, strawberries, blueberries..etc. After a full summer of working out and eating better than ever (minus the overdose of fruit,) I returned to my NYC dorm with absolute determination to continue losing bodyfat and getting smaller, and eating BETTER.
In September, I ENTIRELY CUT OUT SUGAR, NO FRUIT whatsoever for about a week. A week doesn't seem long, but the improvement in my abdominal definition and my skin was amazing. Now, I try as hard as possible to consume as little sugar as possible, and only from fruits.  Apples are my absolute favorite fruit, they satisfy a sweet craving, and have fiber, which everyone needs more of. The best time to eat simple sugar and carbs like fruits is right before a workout, because your body needs immediate glucose to breakdown before you dip into the fat reserve to burn FAT, the tough stuff. Some sugar AFTER your workout has also been proven to be beneficial--so throw a 1/2 cup of frozen cherries, blueberries, raspberries, etc into a post-workout shake with protein and some fresh spinach! 
The past 4 months have been an INCREDIBLE period of growth for me in terms of REALLY understanding how my body works.  I keep track of every single thing I eat, every rep i complete, every sprint I do, and track my progress. Even if I slip up and eat something NOT in my plan, I keep track, and see WHAT IMPACT (if any) it had on my body. I examine my abs EVERY time i go to the bathroom, if there's a mirror. I like to check up on them all day, to see if something I ate makes me bloated, or has no effect. Some might think its crazy, but it keeps me happy and comfortable. 
Another major change i made beginning in September is training DYNAMICALLY. I really started to push my limits on the treadmill and on the floor. Incorporating strength training into my daily routine transformed my physique entirely. NO MORE CRUNCHES FOR THIS GIRL, and my abs are defined, and getting more ripped by the day.  Lifting weights and training my lower body HARD has helped me to appreciate my body so much more, because there's muscles to flex on every single part of my body. i can SEE and FEEL all my hard work and dedication. By learning (from Tina, and Barry's Bootcamp, and numerous other blogs) to utilize EVERY muscle group in a workout, I've been able to increase the number of calories I burn during a 60-90 minute workout, and keep my metabolic rate high after I exercise. Burning all those extra calories, while eating super clean foods, has lead to the transformation of my body. I never said there was anything wrong with the way I looked before, but I'm much happier being a lean size 2-4, than I was being a "curvy" or "thick" size 8.  Being lighter lets me run faster, workout harder, wear cuter workout clothes, smaller sports bras...and feel AMAZING! 
2011 was the year I became comfortable pole dancing in just a sports bra and booty shorts.  I'm sure my stomach doesn't look so hot in every position I hit, but for the most part, I'm not mad at my appearance in that tiny outfit. 
2011 was the year for ME to figure out MYSELF. Now I know what works for ME, and during 2012 I plan to transform myself EVEN more, and more importantly--help other people to UNDERSTAND health, working out, and THEIR OWN BODIES! If I can make a real impact on ONE person, I'll feel incredibly accomplished as a fitness enthusiast and blogger.  ANYBODY can live this lifestyle. I'm in COLLEGE--land of beer guts, late night pizza, and unhealthy study snacks--NONE OF THAT GOT TO ME!! This way of life has become my ABSOLUTE passion. I essentially dropped DANCE because of my addiction to fitness, and I swear to god dance was the biggest passion of my life for about 9 years straight. I still love it, but fitness and nutrition is where I BELONG right now. I love to help, if you ask me a question I will respond IMMEDIATELY with care and attention. I live my life very intensely, and I take my lifestyle VERY seriously, and i never compromise my workouts or food plans, but that's part of my type-A personality and obsession. All I think about is workouts, food plans, learning new pole tricks, and getting leaner. Its a way of life!! Let me help you for 2012!! 
Want to be able to show off your muscles on facebook?!
BODY BY LIZ, LET's GO !!! 


Some pics to show where I've come from since last January:
Last New Years Eve dress:
since last january... 






December 28th, 2011 

1 comment: